How to install Windows 10 updates using XEOX
Windows updates are important because it is critical to install security updates to protect your systems from malicious attacks. In the long run, it is also important to install software updates, not only to access new features, but also to be on the safe side in terms of security loopholes being discovered in outdated programs. And it is in your own best interest to install all other updates, which may potentially cause your system to become vulnerable to attack.
The Windows 10 updates are a problem for many people since you either have to wait for Microsoft to give you the go on updating your system or are forced to update when you’re in the middle of a project.
However, if you want to take the matter into your own hands, this guide shows you how to force Windows to start downloading the Windows 10 update files without having to wait for Microsoft's approval.
First, you need to sign up to XEOX and create an account. After you have done that, please take the following steps:
1. Go to Agent or Install Agent on the menu bar and install it. If you need help with the installation please read the instructions in Agent or read Agent Installation.
2. Click on Job Center and select Jobs. In the gray menu bar you can select a wizard which will help you with creating a job, or use create job directly.
3. Follow the steps of the wizard or create the job and save them.
4. The Job will run either immediately or at the set time, depending on what you selected. The job will search for new updates and also install them on the selected device. Make sure you back everything up before you start installing it.
Configuration Management Database
The central point is the Configuration Management Database. It contains all necessary information for the modules. You have two options to add content to the CMDB:
- Insert manually
- Install agents on your machines to get the information
Most of the time it is a combination of both.
Just download the "Agent" and install it on the machine. If you like to install it unattended, you can add the parameter /S to the installer. If you have a bigger environment, an automated installation would be suggested.
Add additional Information
The "Agent" tries to get as much data as possible from the machine. But a CMDB should have more data than the pure hardware / software inventory. e.g. Commercial information like warranty, assignment to persons etc.
If you need to add the same information to more than one device, please read the chapter Multi-Edit e.g. add the same "Warranty Date" to a bunch of new ordered Notebooks.
On Devices with an "Agent", you have the possibility to execute jobs on them. This could be for example:
- Force the installation of Windows updates
- Install software
- Reboot on a scheduled time.
You can join your network infrastructure with the CMDB. This is done via dot1x authentication. So only devices which are in your CMDB are allowed to get network access.